Thursday, January 14, 2010

Anita Blake 2010 Reading Challenge Book #2

The Laughing Corpse
Laurell K. Hamilton

This was the second book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series. I enjoyed this book more than the first I think because I am getting to know the characters more. I can see why people really like the strong-willed Anita. This book you get more of her personality. I really liked her strength around the big bas vamps and all the other officers in the spook squad. I agree with her argument that as a girl in a man's job she has to be stronger and faster than them. She does not let other bully her and she is not so proud that she won't when she is scared.

I really like the friendly banter between Anita and the cops. Detective Clive Perry is the polite cop that always treats Anita with respect. He has an old-world courtliness to him. Dolph who is head of the spook squad and relies on Anita knowledge in the paranormal world. He is extremely good at his job. Zerbrowski is my favorite on the team because he is always playing with Anita. One of my favorite scene is between the two at a crime scene to see who tossed their cookies first.

There is also some very scary new characters. Harold Gaynor who is a rich millionaire who would like to hire Anita to raise a 300 year old corpse. His two bodyguards Bruno and Tommy both with nasty attitudes. Also the most powerful voodoo priestess in the Midwest Dominga who wants to recruit Anita into a very big money making deal. Neither Harold or Dominga react well to Anita turning them down.

Next Circus of the Damned

No comments:

Post a Comment