Friday, January 13, 2012

Early Review: Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)

By C.E Murphy
Releases February 28, 2012
Source: Review copy provided by NetGalley for review.

Oh ya Gary is back in all his charming glory! After going away for the weekend in the last book, Spirit Dances, he was not going to miss all the action this time so he flys all the way to Ireland to join Joanne on this next big adventure. And what an adventure it is.

Literally, none stop. I did miss the other characters, Billy, Morrison, the other officers, and the daily life stuff that was in the other books. Because this book was set in Ireland there was really none of the mundane, it was all gods, goddess, and evil to fight continuiously.

The big highlight was Morrison and Joanne can finally have a real relationship. In typical Joanne fashion she to save the world and leaves to go to Ireland. Now at first I wanted more of Morrison in the book than the short to the point phone calls but I think I like how it wasn’t an instinst in-your-face-were-together-thing. It gave me time to get used to the idea after so many books were Morrison and Joanne could not be together that now they could. Next book they can be fully together.

 I enjoyed Joanne’s mother’s niece Caitriona who is nineteen year old and mets Joanne again in Ireland and joins in the adventure. She adds the eye rolls and heavy sighs. I also enjoyed the roll Joanne’s mother played in this story. Joanne gets answers she needs to heal old emotional wounds and will help her continue to grow.

Favorite Quote:
“You went back in time,” he repeated, “and you expect his cell phone to work?”
“Well, no, I just, I mean, I came back and he hasn’t! Shouldn’t he have?”
Morrison, very steadily, said, “Were you together?”
“No! I just said he went to fight the Morrigan!”
“I see.” There was a pause. “The man is seventy-four years old, Joanie. He can take care of himself. If you were,” a great and patient pause filled the line before he went on, “time traveling. If you were time traveling and got separated, then I can’t think of any reason he would necessarily come back to the present at the same time you did.”
“Except I was the focal point, it was my fault, it --!”
“Joanne. Siobhan. Siobhan Grainne MacNamarra Walkingstick.”
I didn’t think anybody had ever said my name like that before. I gulped down a hysterical sob and whispered, “Yeah?”
Morrison, with gentle emphasis, said, “I love you. Now pull yourself together and go find the bad guy,” and hung up.

Something wicked this way comes…

Suddenly, being bitten by a werewolf is the least of Joanne Walker’s problems.

Her personal life in turmoil, her job as a cop over, she’s been called to Ireland by the magic within her. And though Joanne’s skills have grown by leaps and bounds, Ireland’s magic is old and very powerful…

 
 In fact, this is a case of unfinished business. Because the woman Joanne has come to Ireland to rescue is the woman who sacrificed everything for Joanne—the woman who died a year ago. Now, through a slip in time, she’s in thrall to a dark power and Joanne must battle darkness, time and the gods themselves to save her.

The Walker Papers Series:
1. Urban Shaman
2. Winter Moon
3. Thunderbird Falls
4. Coyote Dreams
5. Walking Dead
6. Demon Hunts
7. Spirit Dances
8. Raven Calls (Releases February 28, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment